Knowledge Function Management
With this Capability, based on the A3 Knowledge Asset Management or Triple A Knowledge Management approach, the organizations can manage Knowledge Functions, as detailed elaborations of Capabilities.
Problems and Solutions
Developing Capabilities is often performed in a Product related way. This results in the developments of processes that are not optimized, because the focus is (still) on solving a short-term problem. With the Business Service Delivery Approach the development of Capability and Knowledge Functions, integrated in the medium and long-term Information Planning, on one side, and the results of the Delivery approach based on Knowledge Function Management on the other side the Delivery as a whole can be optimized.
Tools to support Knowledge Function Management
To support Knowledge Function Management Enterprise Architects offers the following tools :
||Managing and modeling Capabilities|
||Managing Function-based (Architectural, Augmented and Actionable) Knowledge Assets|
||Modeling the Business Activities related to the Knowledge Functions of the Business Process in which way the process model’s actionable knowledge assets are defined|
||Defining the information requirements per Knowledge Function based on the Capability Design|
||Defining the details of Principles, Requirements, design Objectives, Standards & Agreements|
||Generating the PSA based on the modeling the Product/Service Delivery and the Information Service Delivery|
||Generating the PID based on the PSA|
Advantages of the Enterprise Architects approach
- With the A3 Knowledge Asset Management approach it is possible to manage functional knowledge for three types of knowledge assets:
- 1.1 Architectural Knowledge Assets
- 1.2 Actionable Knowledge Assets, and
- 1.3 Augmented Knowledge Assets
This enables the architect and modeler to define these types of knowledge assets during the design of models and the development of Capabilities. Next, users can access these knowledge assets and components at any time they want to in an updated form.
- In the Enterprise Architects approach Capabilities are grouped together in a Capability Map and then the service delivery, the supporting processes and the necessary Business Functions can be defined. First in a general way, later in more detail. Next, the Knowledge components can be added to the Business Functions making them Knowledge Functions. When modeling the process as a chain of Knowledge Function the process can be published on a website and then be accessed.
- The PROSA can be defined as a result of the strategy (high-level) and next as a part of the Capabilities (see Strategy to Capability).
- Based on the already developed components the PSA (Project Start Architecture) and the PID (Project Initiation Document) can be generated.
- The SAFe™ Core Values are safeguarded and improved as follows
- 5.1. Alignment
- 5.2. Built-in Quality
- 5.3. Transparency
- 5.4. Program Execution